YOUNGSTOWN – Youngstown CityScape recognized 11 projects in the city Thursday at its 15th annual beautification awards ceremony.
“Each year, we recognize the effort and the pride that people put into their property and highlight the best of our community,” said Sharon Letson, executive director of Youngstown CityScape. “It may be a multi-million-dollar development or simply an exceptionally beautiful garden in a residential neighborhood, but we want to salute the range of efforts being made.”
The ceremony took place at Concept Studio, downtown.
The winner in the Business category was:
- Lady Buggs Farm, 536 Carroll St.
In the Institutional category, the winners were:
- “The Handshake for the Century” sculpture at Wean Park, presented to Eric Ryan, Ernie Brown, Eric Planey and associates.
- Andrews Avenue mural, created by Youngstown State University arts students and Prof. Dragana Crnjak.
Winners in the Community category were:
- Pollination project/Sunflower farm across from Taft Elementary School, 721 E. Avandale Ave., presented to Land Bank-Neighborhood Association.
- State Theatre mural project, 213 W. Federal St., presented to Bob Barko Jr., Steeltown Studios, and Leadership Mahoning Valley.
- Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corp., 1810 Volney Road.
- Youngstown Community Blueberry Patch, Mary Danus, 4019 Erie Ave.
Winners in the Residential category were:
- Lucy Boyd, 2212 McCartney Ave.
- Sue and Gary Sexton, 269 Redondo Road.
- Carol Morris, 34 Upland Ave.
- Jerry and Linda Martin, 2247 Volney Road.
- Darla Ballinger, 486 W. Boston Ave.
Youngstown CityScape is a nonprofit community development corporation dedicated to the revitalization of the greater downtown Youngstown area.
The organization’s mission is to strengthen Youngstown’s urban core that connects downtown, the YSU campus and adjacent neighborhoods and gateways through strategic partnerships.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.