Pioneer Pavilion & Mill Creek Furnace



YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio– This painting, entitled “Old Woolen Mill and Mill Creek Furnace,” is housed inside Arms Family Museum in Youngstown. The piece was created by Milton Stambaugh around 1870 and depicts an early visual of what is now know as Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park.

The Old Woolen Mill was built by Isaac Heaton in 1821. The Heaton brothers also built the first iron furnaces in the Mahoning Valley including the Mill Creek Furnace which once stood next to the mill. When the mill proved itself to be unprofitable, it was converted into a stock house for the furnace in the 1830s.

Mill Creek Park acquired the Old Woolen Mill in the 1890s, renovated it and renamed the building Pioneer Pavilion. Remnants of the Mill Creek Furnace, out of use since the mid 19th century, can still be viewed outside of Pioneer Pavilion today.

Copyright 2021 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.





Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *